Rib Cage Breath for Stress Relief
Follow along as we practice the Rib Cage Breath. Another simple practice to help you reduce stress.
Prefer to listen...Click on the video.
(Article continues below)
Rib Cage Breath
(Inhale AND Exhale through the nose.)
- Find a comfortable seat or stand
- Bring hands to the side of your rib cage with your thumbs behind and fingers in front
- Abdomen stays relaxed
- On your Inhale - feel the ribs expand laterally (out to the sides)
- On your Exhale - allow the ribs to soften, rib cage comes back to neutral
- As you Inhale - Imagine your ribs expanding like an umbrella opening
- As you Exhale - Imagine closing your umbrella, ribs moves back to the center
- Notice where the abdomen expands, noticing the slight movement into the belly
- This is an easy, smooth breath - careful not to overextend with belly breathing or make the breath forceful.
On your Inhale...
- Rib Cage Expands
- Diaphragm Moves Down
- Pelvic Floor Moves Down
- Lungs Expand
- Air Pulled Into the Lungs
On your Exhale...
- Rib Cage Relaxes
- Diaphragm Moves Up
- Pelvic Floor Moves Up
- Lungs Shrink
- Air Forced Out of Lungs
Want another way to let go of stress or anxiety? Get your FREE Guided Meditation.